Saturday, January 1, 2011

Cuy = Guinea Pig



So yes it is true, in Ecuador cuy is a delicatessen. when you go to a restaurant you can order a half of a chicken with rice and beans for about $4US but a cuy will run you about $20. It is usually only eaten around special occasions because of the price however lots of people raise them in their houses and cook them themselves which naturally makes it a lot cheaper. I have tried them and personally it's not my favorite. When you get it, you get the head and all, plunk, right in front of you. The animal as you maybe can guess, has very little meat on it and the skin is very tough. They eat the heart, intestines and everything out of it, nothing goes to waste. I am attaching some photos but I am warning you, you may find them disturbing! I know when my mom was here she couldn't bare to look at them. And for some of you at home who have them for pets, well, you may want to skim over this blog, but hey, if times get tough, you also have a potentially tasty dinner at your fingertips! Enjoy!!